Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Nice Guy Box

This poem is from my first book, A Walk through My Mind..

The Nice Guy Box

So I guess I’m in the nice guy box
For me personally, it’s not a bad box
But I’m usually the underestimated dude
Or looked at different if I catch an attitude
I guess you just have to scream and shout all the time
But if I do get loud with you, I’m lying
So I’m acting now, when I’m just being me
I don’t have to be a thug to stand up for my girl or me
There is more than one level to a real man you see
No need to fight, for bull crap my skin is thick
But if you get under it, it can get crappy quick
But why?
Am I less of a man cause I let it fly?
Come on man, the world is changing
Rappers are in corporate America and maintaining
Save ya mean mug frown for the mirror
Look beyond your self to see much clearer
You not hard cause you a thug, being a thug is a choice
How proud are you when you not around to hear ya daughters voice
I didn’t walk down that road, I chose another
But I still get stereotyped cause of my color
I live in the hood, but I’m not “of” the hood kid
I’m a soft guy because I didn’t do a bid?
I’m a nice guy, so…
I’m not You, but I bet I’m a real man though
Prolly more real than you
You a coward, man who knew
So why I got to be in a box, why?
Nice guy. Why can’t I just be a guy?
Street cred, that’s overrated
Fighting because some one said you soft is out dated
Black men not taking care of they’re wife and kids, I hate it
So you can call me soft, I’ll stay humble
But when ya hard, tough guy self gets hit, I’ll laugh when you crumble
So if you’re looking to find me, I’ll be in my box

1 comment: