Friday, March 27, 2009

Dear America

He wasn’t my dad though I called em pops
Round the way he ran all the shops
He was like the pope
Took me in, even in my hip-hop gold chains, heavy rope
All the real gangsters reported to him
And when he got mad, the lights got dim
He brought me up, took me under his wing
I was living the American dream
I was his right hand, no one was closer
If he was the wall, I was a poster
Many people hated that fact about me
But more so because I wasn’t the color of he
A black man getting ready to take over a white mans empire
So now they turned on me and that feeling is sour
Dear America you got a problem see
I’m only what you made me
You kicked me to the curb and told me to survive
But you only gave me dirt paying jobs, besides
You made it so gangsters were my role models
Walking the streets filled with drugs, dead bodies and broken beer bottles
Then you never reported the murders you caused
You just kept us caged like hogs
And now you’re surprised to see what you see?
This is you also, not just me
I learned from the ultimate hustler, you
Your ideals and ways stuck like glue
Scarface, godfather, the sopranos
Dark gangsta sounds of the violin and the piano
If I die you die
Then it’s really bye bye Ms. American Pie
Because I’m the glue that holds you together
With out me the storm you couldn’t weather
But it was you who over ran jails instead of schools
Instead of us owning the biz, we built the pools
See you helped create a way of life that’s gotten out of hand
Now the whole world sees the flaws of this land
Instead of perpetuating the problem teach us a craft and trade
Hey I’m calling a spade a spade
Or give us the means
Meaning the green
Poor people can’t help the poor so to speak
We may have missed a generation, but the outlook isn’t bleak
Your plan, we solvin’
Dear America, you got a problem

1 comment:

  1. I love this poem more every time I read it because it the plain truth..Love it.

    ReplyDelete