Friday, January 14, 2011

Chain Heavy

My chain heavy man

Hanging from it is Jesus with holes in hand

It lies over my broken heart

I’m hoping the ice will heal that part

My chain cost more than I can afford

Lord help me carry this thing heavy as a billboard

Bright and shiny like my future, but that’s all you see

You see how it lays on the nice crispy tee

You don’t see me lying with it and how it affects my sleep

One eye open, peep

Striving for a false chain, the biggest I can find

But then financially it leaves me in a bind

It’s taking me backwards, this fake Jesus piece chain

But the thoughts of the effect of diamonds is a disease running through my veins

My chain heavy, rope tied to a noose

Hanging from a tree, wishing the links were a little loose

Guess I’ll just chuck up the deuce

Heavy chains hold you down

Slavery bound

My chain weights a lot

Hanging from it is an intricate plot

It begins with 500 years of slavery, chains and whips

Some how we got diamonds and ladies shaking hips

My chain too heavy, take it away

I don’t want to be the one that gets crowned on chaining day

I don’t want the responsibility to lead

All I want is the greed

I want the diamonds and flash

I don’t want to spread it to my community; I want to keep the cash

My chain heavy, yeah yeah my chain heavy

God it feels like I’m carrying a Chevy

I wonder if this is what the cross felt like…………………

My chain heavy, I’m not good enough

It’s too heavy, I’m faking being tough

The people behind me in the 25th hour

But I’m one sinful man and I shouldn’t have any power

Denzel time, get Malcolm X on em

But if I work out, I can lead longer

Learn my culture, read my bible, and lend my voice I’ll be stronger

My chain heavy but not as heavy as the cross

My gifts didn’t cost me a lot, Jesus paid that cost

With my focus narrowed, I won’t get lost

The heaviness of the chain is self inflicted

Behind “Chain Heavy”

I wrote a poem for my second book (Journey) called “Going Backwards” and this poem “Chain Heavy” could be kind of a sequel to that, but I really just used “Going Backwards” as a reference. For this poem I just wanted to play off of two songs out right now; Kanye West – Chain Heavy and J. Cole – Cost Me a Lot. What’s hanging from the “chain” here are struggles, perceptions, fears, a culture, and faith.

“Going Backwards” (http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=53704047&notes_tab=app_2347471856#!/note.php?note_id=35514313564)

“My chain cost more than I can afford / Lord help me carry this thing heavy as a billboard”

I can’t afford the price Jesus paid for my life. Sometimes life gets heavy and I need strength only He can provide

“Bright and shiny like my future, but that’s all you see / You see how it lays on the nice crispy tee / You don’t see me laying with it and how it affects my sleep / One eye open, peep”

We all have a bright future, but there is work to reach the goals we set and the dreams we dream about. It’s definitely not easy. We always see the success, the end result, but never the hard work in between.

“Striving for a false chain, the biggest I can find / But then financially it leaves me in a bind / its taking me backwards, this fake Jesus piece chain”

When you’re chasing the wrong thing, doing the wrong thing, it can take a toll on you. There is always a consequence.

“But the thoughts of the effect of diamonds is a disease running through my veins”

Greed can consume you. The thoughts of what a diamond chain can bring you (fame, recognition, respect) becomes addictive. Kweli said, “The root of evil isn’t money, it’s the pursuit of money.” I can see that because when you get to a “by any means necessary” point, all bets are off. You’ll do any thing, evil things, to get that money, power, and respect.

My chain heavy, rope tied to a noose / Hanging from a tree, wishing the links were a little loose / Guess I’ll just chuck up the deuce”

Basically killing yourself for that chain. Instead of relinquishing the “chain,” your pride, you’d rather die. “Die enormous then live dormant.” – Jay-Z

“My chain weights a lot / Hanging from it is an intricate plot / It begins with 500 years of slavery, chains and whips / Some how we got diamonds and ladies shaking hips”

The whole poem is basically about what’s hanging from your chain. What’s your mountain? Hanging from this chain is the gap in generation. Hip Hop generation vs. Civil Rights generation. It’s about the responsibility to lead. What’s our mark as a generation? Poverty? Single mothers? Absent fathers? Diamonds? Nice cars?

“My chain too heavy, take it away / I don’t want to be the one that gets crowned on chaining day / I don’t want the responsibility to lead”

From here on its pretty explanatory. When chains were really big, “camps” (like the ROC) would “crown” or put their signature chain on new artists. So this is like running from being crowned. You’re next in line to lead and set the example, but instead you run away from that responsibility.

“The people behind me in the 25th hour / But I’m one sinful man and I shouldn’t have any power / Denzel time, get Malcolm X on em”

The 25th hour was a Spike Lee movie; no one man should have that much power was a line from Malcolm X (Spike Lee, Denzel; a white cop said that line to Malcolm) and it also was a line in Kanye’s song “Power.” Linking more Kanye, “Denzel time, get Malcolm X on em” is a play on his line from “Chain Heavy” (Don Cheadle time, get extra black on em) and also more Spike/Denzel/Malcolm X connections.

“The heaviness of the chain is self inflicted”

Life isn’t hard, but it’s pretty tough. Adding dumb choices, fear, and doubt don’t make it any easier. In this world today it’s easy to get lost on a path not of morals and values, but doing so brings more weight to the chain you already carry. You can’t control everything but you can control how you respond to everything. There is a choice in every decision made.

1 comment: